Student Essay Competition
I came across the following announcement on the Internet, and figured some readers of this blog might be interested. I have no involvement with this contest, but I know a number of students visit this site from time to time, and given what draws them here, some might very well have some excellent ideas to contribute:
The Diplomat is sponsoring an essay competition for college students on the topic “Is China’s Growth Sustainable?” Submissions must be in English and be 2,000 words or less. The due date is August 30, 2010, and there is no fee for entering. The full essay question is as follows:
Fifteen years ago, APEC leaders meeting in Japan called for joint action ‘to ensure the region’s economic prosperity is sustainable.’ But is it realistic to believe that APEC’s largest member, China, can grow rapidly and sustainably?
Entries must be sent as email attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Essay contest”. To be eligible, contestants must meet the following requirements:
- Aged between 18 and 25 years old on October 1, 2010.
- A citizen or permanent resident of any member country of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum.*
- Not affiliated with The Diplomat either directly or through a family member.
- Must be enrolled at an accredited university as of August 30, 2010.
* (Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, People’s Republic of China, Hong Kong, China, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Peru, The Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Chinese Taipei, Thailand, the United States, Viet Nam)
First Prize is a round trip ticket to Tokyo, five days hotel accommodation and daily stipend during this year’s APEC ministers and economic leaders’ summit in Yokohama (Nov. 10 – 14, 2010). The winner will have the opportunity to cover the event with The Diplomat, meet with officials at the conference, conduct interviews and attend press conferences. The winning essay will also be published on The Diplomat’s website. Second prize is a US$1500 Apple gift card, and third prize is a US$500 Amazon voucher.
Full info on the contest rules and submission procedures can be found here. There are a number of important details, so do not just rely on the short summary I’ve given here. Good luck, and I’d love to hear from anyone who participates.